adding pumpkin to Beersmmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mauer_62

Reaction score
i am working on a pumpkin porter and i need to add pumpkin to Beersmith. does anyone have the exact specifics for pumpkin? i am using BS v 2.2.12.
i appreciate any help.

add to grain

pumpkin.JPG

Hope its ok to add on late to this thread. I made a pumpkin beer last year and did not account for the pumpkin in beersmith which obviously jacked everything up. I added Pumpkin as Grognerd showed in his screen shot. My recipe calls for 12 lbs of fresh cooked pumpkin for my 12 gallon batch. I noticed that the total amount of water needed went from 17.76 to 19.16 gallons. I can't imagine that pumpkin, either from fresh pumpkin or canned would absorb over a gallon of water. How did you accommodate for this in your recipes?

From Brad (the BeerSmith dev) on the BeerSmith forums on a question related to moisture

Hi,
The moisture parameter in the grain is for informational use and does not impact the water volume calculation.

The challenge here is that water absorption is not necessarily a function of moisture content (for all possible fermentables). A sweet potato does not absorb water the same way that crushed barley grain does for example. I would need a pretty complex model to handle all of these cases.

So internally the program applies the global grain absorption (though there is a separate global for BIAB due to the bag compression when draining).

Brad

In other words, I don't think there's much you can do.

From Brad (the BeerSmith dev) on the BeerSmith forums on a question related to moisture

In other words, I don't think there's much you can do.

Thanks for the reply jhall. I guess what I will do is not include the pumpkin into BeerSmith and then make a guess on the low side of how much extra H2O to add. Then top off my BK to get to desired volume. I'm guessing fresh Pumpkin will add a negligible amount of fermentables therefore my gravity should not be impacted too much.

Are you guys really adding just to the boil? Previously, doing extract brews, I've always done a partial mash with the pumpkin then added all the extract. I'll be converting my recipe to all-grain this year and was planning on roasting then mashing with the rest of the grain.

Are you guys really adding just to the boil? Previously, doing extract brews, I've always done a partial mash with the pumpkin then added all the extract. I'll be converting my recipe to all-grain this year and was planning on roasting then mashing with the rest of the grain.

Not sure what others are doing as I hijacked onto this thread. I've always added fresh roasted pumpkin to the mash. The problem I'm having is figuring out how much water to add to my recipe through BeerSmith to accommodate for the pumpkin being added to the mash. I can't imagine adding pumpkin directly to the boil is a good idea but others may have had success.

Back