Adding peaches and strawberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
My partial mash brew went great 10 days ago. 1.049 and now in the primary at 1.013. As the recipe website brewtoads.com aided me.

I want to add the peaches as strawberries and need direction on what I should do. I've heard freeze them, freeze them after you mashed them up or cut into chunks, heat them up, add them without pits, just add them whole.

I was thinking of getting 4 lbs of peaches and 2 lbs of strawberries. Put them in the nutribullet/blender and freeze it over night. Am I on the right track?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What is your base beer?

If I'm being honest, I'd say ditch the strawberries. Unless you have a pallet of them, they just don't contribute much.

As for technique...Just wash, slice, and pit the peaches (slice them thin enough that getting them out of a carboy won't be too difficult). Put them in a bag and freeze them, then add them to a clean 5 gallon carboy and rack your beer onto them. That's it!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399675542.311198.jpg

That's the base beer. SRM Of 10. About 5%. I already bought the berries so I have to put them in now. But I thank you for the guidance. Sanitize, slice, rack..can I add freeze before the rack for 24 hours? Would I add them frozen or defrost to room temp

Two pounds of Crystal 40 is going to wreck that bee,r man. If you can, back it down to 1 lb or maybe 3/4 lb if possible. It's going to turn out way too sweet otherwise.

You can freeze the peaches for as long as you need. 24 hours is fine. I've frozen fruit for 6-9 months before using it. It's all good as long as it's airtight. I usually defrost, but I don't know that it's crucial. The important part is the freezing. It helps stun any wild yeast that might be on the skin, and it bursts the cell walls of the fruit.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402153847.444053.jpg

The beer turned out delicious. Not as much peach flavor as I hoped but it is not at all sweet in a negative way. The Citra hops added a nice bitterness to it. Next time I'll add peach extract to see what happens and perhaps ripen the fruit a little more.

Latest posts

Back