Adding Oregon Fruit Puree (pineapple) to the serving keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-daddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to brew a fruit beer based on the recipe in this video... .
I've not seen many who have done this. Most recommend adding fruit puree to a secondary. I'd like to try adding it to the serving keg prior to racking the beer but concerned that once carbonated and chilled, the fruit puree will separate from the beer. Not very excited about having to shake the keg before pouring off a pint. I use the "Top Draw" pickup tube and think the fruit puree may just drop to the bottom. Anyone have experience with this?

I had an IPA brewed with citrus forward hops and then added mango purée to my serving keg. After sitting for 4 days, I didn’t seem to have any separation although I noticed that the color and flavor changed a bit as the keg went through it’s lifecycle.

The first half was more malty than the back half and the color become a deeper orange. Overall I think it was a successful beer.

Have you brewed this one yet?

Thanks for the reply. Do you draw from the top or bottom of the serving keg? I just finished fermenting. Plan on cold crashing tomorrow and adding purée to the keg on Wednesday.

I draw from the bottom of the serving keg!

I racked on top of the purée to avoid any extra oxidation and to ensure it is evenly distributed. I am very curious to see if you get some sort of gradient with your keg as well but it will be tasty either way!

What hops did you use to aid the fruit? Always looking for new combinations.

I draw from the bottom of the serving keg!

I racked on top of the purée to avoid any extra oxidation and to ensure it is evenly distributed. I am very curious to see if you get some sort of gradient with your keg as well but it will be tasty either way!

What hops did you use to aid the fruit? Always looking for new combinations.
I used straight centennial - 6 oz. whirlpool @ 190 degrees for 10 minutes - followed the recipe in the video.

Back