Adding Orange Peel Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtom1991

Reaction score
Want to get more of an orange punch to my Blue Moon clone.

Previously Iv added 2oz of Sweet Orange Peel at the end of the boil. This gives an orange taste but not as much punch as the original.

Currently have 5 Gal on primary and want to add extra orange peel.

What’s the best way to add it in ?

Presumably can’t just tip in the dried peel without some form of sanitisation, but if I boil it before adding it I’m losing the flavour I’m trying to gain.

Presumably can’t just tip in the dried peel without some form of sanitisation, but if I boil it before adding it I’m losing the flavour I’m trying to gain.

If you're concerned about sanitation, you could zest an orange, boil it just long enough to sanitize in a very small amount of non-chlorinated water, and add all of it (zest and water) to your beer.

You can indeed just tip in some fresh zest post-fermentation. I make a witbier in which I add blood orange zest and the ethanol extracts the flavors nicely and never had an issue with infections.

I am a fan of alcoholic extractions. You could just macerate in 40% alcohol some zest. You can smell the result from time to time. When it is intense enough, and before you begin extracting the bitter notes that you presumably don't want, you filter and put in the beer, for instance by adding it to the priming syrup.

Boiling will dissolve the essential oils in the air. Alcohol will retain the aromas of the essential oils better. Alcohol will also decently sanitize the zest, no infection risk. Yes, it will slightly alter the alcohol content of your beer, but very lightly.

If you bottle....... With the Orange Moon version of my Fruit Moon series, when I boil up my priming sugar, I add some fresh orange zest and crushed coriander, just to punch up the flavor.
By the way- a hint someone gave me. Use a vegetable peeler to get the zest without any pith.

Use a vegetable peeler to get the zest without any pith.

As an alternative, one can use a tagliacalli, a callus cutter. They are available in several measures. You should be able to see many at a chemist's.

Some of them are like a vegetable peeler, but they usually cut less deep.

Back