Adding Orange peel and Coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I'm doing a Celis Wit clone tomorrow that calls for Dried orange peel and crushed corriander. Is it fine to just throw right into the boil, or should I use some type of hop sack to keep it all contained.....

I just made a Belgum White that had orange and corriander. The instructions just had me add them to the boil. As in no hop bag. My suggestion to you is if you don't put them in a bag of some sort them do your best to strain out the wort when pouring it into the fermenter. Or at least be careful when syphoning from the fermenter to the bottling bucket. I ended up forgetting the little extra filter on my fermenter's spigot and ended up with the bottling bucket having lots of bits of corriander in it. Which lead to the bottling wand getting clogged.

I also did a belgian wit and I put my corrander and orange into a small muslin bag to help contain them instead of just tossing them in the boil

I just through them into the boil at the right times and whirlpool really good before siphoning into my fermenter.

I like the sound of this beer. Does anyone have recipe they would be willing to share?
I presume you use coriander seeds & not coriander leaf.
Getting back to the Orange peel -
We save all our citrus peelings, cut into strips & freeze. When we have enough we candy it to eat as a snack. This leaves us with a citrus syrup which we save. The citrus flavour probably isn't strong enough to get through a full ferment but I am thinking of using the syrup (which is now inverted) as a priming sugar (probably in a lager or not too hoppy pale ale). Hopefully the citrus flavour should come through in the background. I am also gonna try adding the peel in at the dry hop stage.

Edit: oops, just realised the OP was 13 years ago

Last edited:
The citrus flavour probably isn't strong enough to get through a full ferment but I am thinking of using the syrup (which is now inverted) as a priming sugar (probably in a lager or not too hoppy pale ale).

You can prime with just about any (simple) sugar you want. The trick is in knowing (or figuring out) how much sugar is in that syrup, and then using that information, along with one of the bottle priming calculators, to figure out how much syrup to use. You may already know all this, but I mention it just in case.

Latest posts

Back