Adding more yeast in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianjen

Reaction score
Hi, so I have been making cider for a couple years now and I usually ferment my apple juice for a couple weeks, rack into new carboys, add a second juice with a 1:3 ratio (3 being my original fermented juice) for flavor and let sit for a considerable amount of time. (mostly out of habit and using a specific book as my "go to" instructions). I am now questioning whether I should just be adding my second juice at the beginning with the apple juice to ferment all at once.

MY QUESTION: I have a bunch of apple juice that has been fermenting for about 3 1/2 weeks. I meant to rack it earlier but didn't have the time. Has anyone fermenting apple juice, racked, added new juice and added more yeast? Can more yeast be added during second fermentation without any issue to help ferment the second juice added?

I hope this makes sense but I worry that after 3 1/2 weeks, most of the yeast is already gone and little to none of the new juice will be fermented creating a sweet cider with a low ABV.

Hi, so I have been making cider for a couple years now a
Do you like the way your cider tastes? If yes, why change anything? I've never heard of the method you are using, but if it works for you, keep doing it.
When I ferment in primary, I leave head space for the foam that fermentation creates. I rack to secondary when fermentation is over, but I don't really expect to have a "secondary fermentation" unless I'm adding some other fruit. I leave very little headspace in the secondary vessel, and sometimes add sulfites at racking. I rack to secondary to get the cider off the yeast, eliminate headspace, and provide an environment for long term aging. I usually use plastic carboys for primary and glass carboys for secondary. I usually use a 3 gallon carboy for secondary, so I'll put 3.5 gallons in the primary carboy.

Do you like the way your cider tastes? If yes, why change anything? I've never heard of the method you are using, but if it works for you, keep doing it.
When I ferment in primary, I leave head space for the foam that fermentation creates. I rack to secondary when fermentation is over, but I don't really expect to have a "secondary fermentation" unless I'm adding some other fruit. I leave very little headspace in the secondary vessel, and sometimes add sulfites at racking. I rack to secondary to get the cider off the yeast, eliminate headspace, and provide an environment for long term aging. I usually use plastic carboys for primary and glass carboys for secondary. I usually use a 3 gallon carboy for secondary, so I'll put 3.5 gallons in the primary carboy.
Hi! Yes I do like the way it tastes, however, I do appreciate a higher alcohol content in my cider so I would like yeast to eat away at some of the secondary fruit/juice sugars.

Hi, so I have been making cider for a couple years now and I usually ferment my apple juice for a couple weeks, rack into new carboys, add a second juice with a 1:3 ratio (3 being my original fermented juice) for flavor and let sit for a considerable amount of time. (mostly out of habit and using a specific book as my "go to" instructions). I am now questioning whether I should just be adding my second juice at the beginning with the apple juice to ferment all at once.

MY QUESTION: I have a bunch of apple juice that has been fermenting for about 3 1/2 weeks. I meant to rack it earlier but didn't have the time. Has anyone fermenting apple juice, racked, added new juice and added more yeast? Can more yeast be added during second fermentation without any issue to help ferment the second juice added?

I hope this makes sense but I worry that after 3 1/2 weeks, most of the yeast is already gone and little to none of the new juice will be fermented creating a sweet cider with a low ABV.
I'd ask myself the simple question, why am I doing this? If I couldn't find an answer I would try without in a split batch, one with the usual protocol, one without the questioned part. Then afterwards, taste test. I think you will find that it is an unnecessary complication of the process, as I cannot figure out why this should be beneficial. Also secondary in general, if not used for prolonged aging, can be questioned in this case. I think throwing it all in at once and leaving or in the yeast till it's bottling time is probably best. We tend to want to do more as we are used to more effort=better results. This is often not the case when it comes to brewing where patience is a virtue.

I'd ask myself the simple question, why am I doing this? If I couldn't find an answer I would try without in a split batch, one with the usual protocol, one without the questioned part. Then afterwards, taste test. I think you will find that it is an unnecessary complication of the process, as I cannot figure out why this should be beneficial. Also secondary in general, if not used for prolonged aging, can be questioned in this case. I think throwing it all in at once and leaving or in the yeast till it's bottling time is probably best. We tend to want to do more as we are used to more effort=better results. This is often not the case when it comes to brewing where patience is a virtue.
Amazing. Thanks for the thoughts. I agree. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing more than necessary in attempts to yield a better result.

Back