Adding more carbonation to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
I made a very nice imperial nut brown at the beginning of December (10.7% abv) but it is not carbed like I would want. I tried carbing with maple syrup but probably did not add the right amount. It has a slight carbonation, but not enough to have a nice good head on it. I was thinking about adding a half or quarter of a carb tab just to get it to the carbonation level I'm looking for, but not sure how to go about this. Theyre at room temp now, but I'm afraid that it will relaese more co2 if I open it up to drop a carb tab in. Should I chill them first then drop it in to keep the co2 in solution, or keep it at room temp first? My fear with chilling is that the change in temperature when I drop the carb tab in will release more co2 than if it was left at room temp. Or should I chill both the bottles and carb tab and then let it warm back up to room temp together?

with beers that big its very hard to bottle carb the beer. the yeast are so beat up by all the alcohol they probably wont do much. next time force carbonate.

but if you want to give it a shot with the carb tabs chill the beer first. this will help it absorb what little CO2 you do have in the head space. then drop the tab in and recap.

I would just set the beer aside for a few months. With an abv that high, the yeast have to work a lot harder and it's often takes MONTHS for the beers to completely carbonate.

if waiting doesnt work. you could put the beer back in a bucket with an air lock and let all the co2 come out, and give some time to make sure there's no more priming sugar then reprime. (maybe add some more yeast too if you think the yeast are worn out)

Back