Adding ingredients when Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catch22sh

Reaction score
So I made an Octoberfest Style Lager a few weeks ago. It's currently "Lagering" nicely at 38 degrees or so. In a few more weeks I'll be looking to keg.

I should have done this earlier, but I thought about adding some orange peel and crushed coriander to this. If I boiled a small amount of water, with some orange zest and coriander in it, boiled it down to concentrate it, and strained it....could I add that to the keg and then rack on top?

Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

yes it's a pretty common method. you can put some of the wort in a pint glass then add a small amount of your tincture until you get the taste your looking for, then just multiply by 40x for the whole keg dosing. It's a great way to get flavor without a chance of overdoing it like if you just added the stuff to the primary. I just did this with a belgian holiday ale, soaked some mulling spices and star anise in a half cup of bourbon for a few weeks, it picked up some crazy intense flavors! However I elected to put the tincture in a small dropper bottle, that way I can add just a few drops to a glass when pouring if I want the spiced version, and leave it out if I dont want the spiced version as I didn't spice the keg. You may consider doing the same with your tincture, but i would consider using vodka instead of water in that case to keep it sterile.

Octoberfest Style Lager
thought about adding some orange peel and crushed coriander to this.
you sure on that one?
tastes are different; do what you please, but perhaps call it better something different afterwards

Back