Adding Ingredients to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate7000

Reaction score
I am making a Bavarian Wheat beer and about to transfer it to a keg. I was trying to add ginger to the keg somehow. I have read on other forums of dry hopping techniques in a keg. My idea was to soak the ginger in liquor to sanitizer and puree it in a blender and add to keg. Is this plausible?

Really would like to know the best practices for adding ingredients, not necessarily hops, to the keg.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd definitely throw the chopped up ginger into a hop sack or grain bag to keep from clogging the dip-tube in the keg. Otherwise I don't think it wouldn't work.

I agree on using the hop sock (boil it first, obviously). Additionally, I would recommend suspending it in the keg with a strand of dental floss (unflavoured, also boiled) so that if you find the beer becoming a little too "gingery," you can withdraw the hop sock and ginger to "lock in" the ginger profile of the beer. I do this with dry hopping sometimes. Just tie the floss around the hop sock and run it up through the keg lid, tying off the other end around one of the keg's handles. The floss is fine enough that it won't cause any significant leaking (particularly if you're using keg lube, as you should be).

I agree on using the hop sock (boil it first, obviously). Additionally, I would recommend suspending it in the keg with a strand of dental floss (unflavoured, also boiled) so that if you find the beer becoming a little too "gingery," you can withdraw the hop sock and ginger to "lock in" the ginger profile of the beer. I do this with dry hopping sometimes. Just tie the floss around the hop sock and run it up through the keg lid, tying off the other end around one of the keg's handles. The floss is fine enough that it won't cause any significant leaking (particularly if you're using keg lube, as you should be).

This is good advise! I used to do this all the time before I welded hooks into the lids on my kegs.

Dry ginger on!

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back