Adding honey to saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiMithing83

Reaction score
I'm going to add some honey to an existing saison recipe I've used, curious how to best go about this. I want to keep the honey taste, I've been told that most of the taste will ferment out if I add it during boil, and that I should use the honey instead of priming sugar. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this accurate? If so, how much honey should I use to prime?

If you want a honey taste in your brew, you should have used honey malt. You will get barely any, if any at all, honey flavour in your saison this way, as it is almost 100% fermentable sugar.

You can use honey to carb your beer, just find a reliable priming calculator. Again, you won't get much (if any at all) flavour from the honey, but it is certainly a sugar the yeast will enjoy turning into CO².

Good to know, next batch I'll do that. I was planning to do two batches for a housewarming party anyway, now I can compare the two! Thanks

Back