Adding hazelnut extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sithspitt

Reaction score
I've made brown ale a few times and have never got that nutty taste I am looking for so I decided I would use 1 oz of hazelnut extract next time I make it. Does anyone know when I should add it? At the end of the boil? When I pitch the yeast? A few days after fermentation has started? Straight to the keg?:confused::confused:

Don't add it before or during primary as all the CO2 production will blow off any delicate aromas and mute the flavors. I'd add a half ounce to the keg, wait a day, and taste it. If it's not nutty enough, keep adding it in increments. You don't want to add too much and have it be overly nutty. You could also get a bottle of Frangelico and go that route.

All good advice, and I am curious how this will turn out, I imagine hazelnut will be a nice compliment to a brown ale, but I am curious how much chocolate malt you've used in prior recipes? You might just be a bit shy of the speciality malts. When I've made brown ales in the past, I have gone as high as 1/2lb of chocolate, and fairly low hop rates to get that nutty flavor.

I wouldn't be shy about going to 1lb in a batch that size unless it affects color too greatly. I did one with a 1/2lb in a 5 gallon batch and got plenty of good nutty flavor.

Latest posts

Back