Adding fruits to beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cytosol

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had some success in making some beer batches from the Beer Baron kits (the ones where you buy the big bags of extract, mix in water and yeast and let sit for 2 weeks). I am going to purchase a mexican cerveza flavor next and wanted to try adding some fresh limes in during the fermentation to add a bit more flavor.

My questions are:

1. How do I prepare limes so that I can add them to the mix? Do I need to decontaminate them? Boil them? Scrub with hot water? Cut into little peices?

2. What stage of the fermentation would I add them in? During the primary 3-day stage in the bucket, or during the 2 week stage in the glass carboy?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will do that instead! I guess that way I won't have to deal with the bacteria on the rinds to contend with.

Does anyone else have any experience with raw ingredients? Are these best to put in the primary fementation or secondary? And how to prepare them?

Thanks

One way to add fruit flavor (with actual fruit and not just extract) is in a separate pot from the brew kettle, make a "tea" with the fruit. Zest the fruit you want, then peel and throw peels away (keeping zest), and put the zest and fruit in the pot with 1/2 gallon water. Bring up to 160-170° and let cool while wort boils. Dump it all into primary and ferment.

I just did a hefe with oranges that turned out great. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back