Adding fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helgibelgi

Reaction score
Hi there

Just wanted to ask all the fruit-experts on here what the "best" method regarding fruit additions is in your opinion??

I want to make a Belgian pale ale or something like that, and add strawberries/raspberries/blueberries (all to different carboys).

I did search the forum in the hope of finding a good answer. But there seems to be no definite answer.

Some say "Boil'em" others say "just after primary fermentation slows down" and yet others say "secondary" and some say "forget the real fruit and use extract"

I want to use real fruit, probably going to buy frozen.

Thanks in advance! :)

Definitely after fermentation slows or primary. I've done both and had similar results. The very active primary fermentation can blow off a lot of the good fruitiness. I'd say the main issue to worry about is adequate head space for the fruit to ferment...

image-2986372927.jpg

Thanks Ryush806 for a quick answer!

I now have 3 one gallon containers of belgian pale ale going. My plan is to wait until I see the fermentation slowing down and then add the fruit. Now the fermentation has just started and white foam has formed about half an inch on the top of each container.

I was also wondering how much I should add in each container. Each has only about a gallon in it. I bought a pound of frozen strawberries, raspberries and blueberries (a pound each). I think I will just pour it straight in until I judge it to be enough. Any thoughts on this?

Of those fruits I have only used strawberries. I make a strawberry blonde for SWMBO and use 10 lb for a 5 gallon batch. It tastes like carbonated strawberry Boone's Farm but its for her not me so whatever. I'd say a pound per gallon might give you a good strawberry flavor but still let the beer come through. There are several threads on here you can probably find to give you a good dosage for the other fruits.

I'm currently making a Kolsch and added stawberries to the secondary. It's been two days and I have not seen bubbles from the airlock. Should I worry? Shouldn't fermentation start over with the sugars in the strawberries? Thanks.

Of those fruits I have only used strawberries. I make a strawberry blonde for SWMBO and use 10 lb for a 5 gallon batch. It tastes like carbonated strawberry Boone's Farm but its for her not me so whatever. I'd say a pound per gallon might give you a good strawberry flavor but still let the beer come through. There are several threads on here you can probably find to give you a good dosage for the other fruits.

Could I get you to post that recipe, sounds like something my wife would like. Cloyinging fuity is right in her wheelhouse.

I prefer using blueberries over strawberries in a blonde as they give a softer flavor. 1lb of whole fruit per gallon seems about right.

I normally use puree (already sanitized) and I dump it straight into the primary after primary fermentation is complete. I've used raspberries, cherries, blueberries, and strawberries in the past. Keep in mind that you won't get any sweetness from the berry. If you want to sweeten up the beer, I suggest using some honey malt. Here's my blonde recipe for reference:

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/strawberry-blonde-24

Could I get you to post that recipe, sounds like something my wife would like. Cloyinging fuity is right in her wheelhouse.

Sure thing!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.73 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM (Strawberries change this a bit)
Estimated IBU: 23.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Wheat, Red (Cargill) (2.9 SRM)
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min (I had leftovers. Just use whatever to get to the correct IBU range)
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
10 lbs Strawberries ($20 eeek) (Added after primary fermentation is complete)

Mash in at 154 F for one hour. Batch sparge to get to boil volume.

Ferment at 65 F until finished then rack into secondary on top of strawberies and ferment at 65 F until finished. Rack to tertiary for clearing. Then bottled/keg.

I have tried two different methods of adding strawberries. The first time I cut the still frozen strawberries in half. The second time I pureed them. IMO cutting the strawberries in half was much easier left a clearer beer at the end. The puree lends a slightly stronger strawberry flavor but I don't think it's worth it.

I have also tried two different methods for backsweetening. The first time I used a pound of lactose. It turned out fine but SWMBO said she would have preferred it a little sweeter. The second time I had planned to filter the yeast out and backsweeten with table sugar. Miserable failure so I backsweetened with the Splenda equivalent to one pound of table sugar (sorry don't remember what that is off hand). That was really REALLY sweet so if you do Spelnda I'd suggest a half pound equivalent. (i'll try to get back to you on that actual amount).

Similar(ish) question:
I have an American Wheat that's about to be done in the primary (it'll be about 10 days all told). When I put it over my cherries, how long should it stay on there? I'm going to be out of town and won't be able to take it off for about a week or longer, so is there a limit to how long beer can stay on fruit?

I wash my fruit off very well, puree and then toss into seconday... I haven't had any issues... but then again it doesnt last longer then a week!!! I use about 2 lbs of strawberry per gallon and it gives you a nice hit of strawberries in a blonde. I did about 4 and half golden mangos per gallon in my mango blonde.

Cheesy_Goodness said:
Similar(ish) question:
I have an American Wheat that's about to be done in the primary (it'll be about 10 days all told). When I put it over my cherries, how long should it stay on there? I'm going to be out of town and won't be able to take it off for about a week or longer, so is there a limit to how long beer can stay on fruit?

I wouldn't worry about a couple of weeks. I usually just keep them in there until fermentation is done but it won't hurt to leave them a bit.

Yesterday was bottling day for my fruit beer. The beer was actually getting surprisingly clear. They all tasted great, especially the strawberry one (I didn't expect that one to come through as much strawberry-like as it did). The only one that actually smelled like the fruit it had in it was the raspberry one, the strawberry-beer smelled good but not distinctively like strawberries (more like a mix of many fruits). The blueberry-beer smelled a little bit sour and had a little sour taste as well but it had the best color of the three!

Will post pictures of fermentation soon. Will post pictures of the sampled beer once carbed and ready (around 3 weeks from now).

Back