adding fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born Brewing Co.

Reaction score
When adding a fruit extract at bottling time should I cut back on priming sugar? Will the sugar in the extract be enough for carbonation process? My fear is priming sugar + fruit extract = bottle grenades. :confused:

I guess it depends on how much yeast food (sugar) is in the fruit extract.

Maybe try comparing the calorie count in corn sugar with that of the fruit stuff.
The fruit extract may contain unfermentable sugars that could make direct comparison inaccurate.

Of course, you could just ask Janx.

Born Brewing Co. said:
When adding a fruit extract at bottling time should I cut back on priming sugar? Will the sugar in the extract be enough for carbonation process? My fear is priming sugar + fruit extract = bottle grenades. :confused:

This is actually an easy one. After you add the fruit keep it in secondary until it is done fermenting out. When you don't see activity for a day or two, bottle normally. The yeast will eat the sugars from the fruit and will act just like a regular fermentation.

Depends on what brand you are using. If it is Cellar Pro brand fruit extract then go ahead and used the regular amount to prime. I asked 3 different HBS's about altering the priming sugar and they told me "no", and to go ahead and use the regular 3/4 cup corn sugar, or 1 & 1/2 cups of DME. There are no fermentable sugars in those extracts. But with any other brands im not sure.

I just used 1 & 1/2 bottles of Cellar Pro brand blackberry extract at bottling time. I have had no problems so far.

Back