Adding Fruit or Juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
Not sure if I should put this here or in recipes.

I have a 3 gallon portion of an AG batch of a wheat beer that has been fermenting for 2 weeks. I want to add 3-4 lbs of frozen cherries to it.

I have a juicer. Has anyone run their fruit through a juicer and just added the juice, instead of just adding a bag of the crushed fruit?

A couple years back I added some apricot that I blended to a wheat beer and it left a lot of fruit pulp in the fermenter and all the juice/beer in the pulp. I was thinking that juicing it and getting all the flavor out would be cleaner, I would get more and I could skip a secondary I added whole frozen cherries to a cider and it worked, but I have a bag of fruit in it that has soaked up a lot of liquid once that I am going to loose when I put transfer it into the keg.

Thoughts?

I have a juicer. Has anyone run their fruit through a juicer and just added the juice, instead of just adding a bag of the crushed fruit?

Sometimes, but it depends on the fruit. I've done it with fruit that I know will juice well in my juicer such as oranges, apples, and similar. Do cherries juice well? If so, I wouldn't see anything negative with that approach.

I got some kettle soured wort, from an AHA event at Surly brewing, a few years ago. I split the wort three ways and used a weihenstephan yeast for one batch. After two weeks in the primary, I racked it onto 4 pounds of frozen tart cherries that were thawed and pureed with a stick blender. I let it sit in the secondary for two weeks then racked again. I let it go another two weeks then bottled it. It turned out fantastic.

Sometimes, but it depends on the fruit. I've done it with fruit that I know will juice well in my juicer such as oranges, apples, and similar. Do cherries juice well? If so, I wouldn't see anything negative with that approach.
Good question. Well, Cherries don't juice well, at least in my juicer. The spinning juicing part just ended up throwing the cherries into the pulp receptacle. I ended up mashing them. I then put a 5 gallon paint strainer bag in my fermenter bucket and , put them in it. They are soaking.

I think I will pull them out in a week, then move the wort/juice to another container and cold crash it before bottling.

Back