Adding Fruit after Second Ferm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnyderCider

Reaction score
Hey guys so I just finished my second batch of cider. I added two stabilizers so fermentation has been halted. I watched a few videos saying you can add frozen fruit to a clean carboy and let it sit. I puréed raspberries and blueberries and put them at the bottom of the carboy. Went back to reading different things online and I’m questioning this strategy. Is this a good way to go about adding fruit? If so how long should I let it sit? And if it’s not sweet enough how can I add a sweetness that doesn’t completely tank the flavor? Thanks!

That's generally how people add fruit to beer and cider but without the stabilisers. Are you planning on drinking it flat or force carbinating? I am lazy and like to add apple juice to a bottle of dry cider to add some sweetness and flavour.

That's generally how people add fruit to beer and cider but without the stabilisers. Are you planning on drinking it flat or force carbinating? I am lazy and like to add apple juice to a bottle of dry cider to add some sweetness and flavour.
I was gifted a kegerator and bought the corny and carb tank myself so I’m force carbonating. I tried regular sugar for a batch and it just tasted kind of funky.

I am lazy and like to add apple juice to a bottle of dry cider to add some sweetness and flavour.
...I ferment to wherever the yeast go but still get nice residual sweetness and fruity flavors

...but yeah, just made a couple of batches of pineapple that came out maybe a hint thin tasting ... so with each 7 or so ounce pour I throw in an ounce of sweet pineapple at serving ... simple and tasty

Last edited:
I was gifted a kegerator and bought the corny and carb tank myself so I’m force carbonating. I tried regular sugar for a batch and it just tasted kind of funky.

I have not tried sugar but i can imagine it might taste a bit weird. One thing i might try next is reducing some apple juice to add to the glass. You can add fruit in the keg if you have something to contain it but i have found as the keg empties the flavour fades.
Mrs has made blackberry cordial before. I reckon that would be great in cider and its fridge stable.

Never tried making cider, but I've used the same basic method you described with good results. Freezing fruit then adding to a secondary and racking the beer on top of the fruit. It's the only time I use a secondary and the only reason I hold on to one glass carboy.
But all fruit isn't the same and the flavor will vary from batch to batch. I've found extract to be very useful in fine-tuning the taste. In fact, some of the better fruit beers I've made were entirely with fruit extract. At first it felt like cheating, but then I reasoned that I use pellet hops for consistency and it's not really that different. If it's an all natural extract and not artificial flavoring I'm really just using the part of the fruit I want and there's a lower chance of infection. That said, it's a personal choice and there's just something about using fresh fruit. I still do it sometimes too. But extract is definitely useful for achieving consistent results.

Back