Adding froot loops to the grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pgereffi

Reaction score
I was thinking of brewing a tropical pale ale with centennial hops and wanted that lemon grass smell on the nose. I was thinking of getting nutty and adding a box or 32 of froot loops to the mash. Yay or nay?

Reminds me of the Iron Brewer (rip off of Iron Chef) competitions our brew club did a while back. One of the secret ingredients was a box of Fruitloops. The beers may have been remarkable, but not in a good way. None of those recipes will ever be brewed again (thankfully.) And if you do something light colored, you get an ugly grey tint to your beer (like when you mixed all your different modeling clay together when you were a kid, assuming you are old enough to remember modeling clay.) You may want to look elsewhere for your lemongrass flavor.

Brew on :mug:

Before I had temperature control I had a batch of pale ale with cascade, chinook and columbus that was fermented with US-05 that had a nice fruit loop like aroma and flavor.

I did some looking and seen people saying they get a peach ester from US-05 when fermented at lower temperatures, which i contribute to the fruitiness of that beer.

I did a cereal mash with "Fruity Pebbles". It had a really nasty color while fermenting, like sewage. It ended up clearing up and looking more like beer by the end. Biggest problem I had was all the tub that ended up in the bottling bucket. It could not be avoided no matter how hard I tried. I don't know if that contributed to the off flavors or not, but it had a aluminum after taste to it. Some of the fruity flavors did show through, but I don't think that will be something I'll do again. Glad I only did one gallon.

I remember the guys at Basic Brewing Radio made a video about using Frankenberry. As I recall, it turned out OK without a real sense of strawberry and maybe the slightest of pink hue.

I'm always up for an experiment, but there's no point in trying something that hasn't really worked our for others.
There are commercial beers that use lemongrass and ginger, why not try a pale ale or wheat beer along those lines?

I added captain crunch in secondary on a porter i did. Captain crunch flavor was not very strong but it changed the whole flavor of the beer not in a good way. Ended up dumping the whole keg. It was a split batch. The other one i kept clean and was great.

Bell City Brewing has made two cereal beers, called Breakfast at Tiffany's. The first one I believe used Captain Crunch and the second was raspberry mini-wheats (I think).

Back