Adding fresh fruits/ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krayz605

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to cider making and want to start a few gallon batches to have ready for fall.

I have read about people adding berries/peppers/flavoring to both primary and secondary fermenting. What steps can be taken when adding fresh ingredients to ensure that contamination doesn't happen? Is simply washing fruits enough? Are the results much different adding in primary or secondary?

Thanks,

Jason

One of the other threads mentions that brewers' yeast is tolerant of campden tablets. If you were adding the fruit to the secondary, would you then be able to campden it without killing your useful yeast?

One of the other threads mentions that brewers' yeast is tolerant of campden tablets. If you were adding the fruit to the secondary, would you then be able to campden it without killing your useful yeast?

Yes, I do it that way with wine & mead all the time, works great.
Regards, GF.

I've seen recipes say to soak in vodka. That is what I did for my blackberry cider that's fermenting. Sampled today and no infection.

Back