Adding flavor to homebrew beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majed41

Reaction score
I see that many commercial beer have some great flavor beer such as Strawberry . the taste and sweetness is just amazing you almost think this is a soda if you drink this from a glass . i really hate the taste of bitter Barley .

i know that in order to have a good sweetniss to the beer i should use Lactose
but what my option for Strawberry flavore ? i really don't want to add actuall Strawberry to the ingredients . i don't even think this is how commercial beer does it anyway .

i found the following products and if any of you guys have some experience with this please let us know

Brewer's Best Natural Strawberry Flavoring
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brewers-Best-Natural-Strawberry-Flavoring-4oz/362760498921
Amoretti Natural Wild Strawberry Artisan Flavor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amoretti-Natural-Wild-Strawberry-Artisan-Flavor-8oz/362772751257

I don't know about these brands/products that you posted, but you might want to check out one on one flavors. I did a blueberry wheat ale with it. I bought a 2oz bottle of Blueberry (fruit) concentrate from them for $12 and used about 0.5ml of concentrate put straight into the keg. It was PERFECT! I gave nice blueberry flavor without appearing candy-sweet like. Now my wife adds literally a drop or two to her coffee in the mornings lol. They have a HUGE list of offerings. They have over 20 different strawberry offerings. Cheers!

https://www.oooflavors.com/pages/all-purpose-flavor-list

I have used brewers best flavorings before. One of the things I don’t like about any of the flavorings is to me it leaves a really weird aftertaste to me. Almost like cough syrup. Most of the time if I let it bottle condition that weird taste will fade but so will the flavor.
I would use it sparingly

I personally hate and will not use brewers best products... all have way to much of a chemical taste to them. I have used flavored coffee syrups in the past when I want to flavor something. a very little goes a long way too. as for the amoretti, its a good brand and you can also check king arthur flour site, the flavorings they carry are good too.

Wow i just bottled a american wheat beer with their pretzel concentrate. I chatted with them and they recommended adding 7-10% (also states on their information sheet) of concentrate to the overall amount your doing. So i did a gallon, and with 128 oz that was like 9-12 oz of concentrate..... SO if noob brewer only added .5 ML!! oh wow, i completely messed up that gallon!... good thing it was only a gallon. But their 8 oz bottle was 25 dollars. wish i would have read that prior. I did taste test it prior to adding my priming solution, it was good but not terrible. i guess we will see in a couple of weeks. Ill post again on here how it tasted..

I see that many commercial beer have some great flavor beer such as Strawberry . the taste and sweetness is just amazing you almost think this is a soda if you drink this from a glass . i really hate the taste of bitter Barley .

i know that in order to have a good sweetniss to the beer i should use Lactose
but what my option for Strawberry flavore ? i really don't want to add actuall Strawberry to the ingredients . i don't even think this is how commercial beer does it anyway .

i found the following products and if any of you guys have some experience with this please let us know

I once used Brewer's Best pear flavor in a perry. It was pretty much meh. It was a waste of $20 if you ask me.

I don't work in a commercial brewery, but from what little I have seen about the process, they appear to add the flavor, any actual fruit, and sugar after fermentation and right before they pasteurize, carb, and bottle the beer. But I should add that flavoring recipes and techniques are pretty much the most closely guarded secrets of the beverage industry.

Also, I find that barley doesn't really have a bitter taste. The bitterness of beer comes primarily from the hops and to a very minor degree from the alcohol. Some specialty grains can add bitterness, but that is usually a burnt bitterness.

I've seen some videos using products from a company named Olive Nation who supply flavorings. Anybody tried their products?

I used flavorings a couple times in beer. I don't enjoy the flavor which is sort of cough syrup-y. I also make carbonated water at home using the Luann oils/flavorings which are made for food and beverage purposes. I'm not sure if any of those are fermentable though. Sometimes flavorings can ferment into some pretty weird flavors.

Brewers Best extracts are garbage. Amoretti ones aren't much better. There are some decent ones, but they still taste artificial, though not in an offensive way. But most of those aren't available at consumer level, wholesale only.

If I can use real fruit, I will use real fruit. Every single day.

Back