Adding extract towards the end of the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I've seen this in a few recipes now where they brewer will break up the extract into 2 batches, the first added as normal, and the second added late in the boil. What is logic behind this? What does it achieve and when is it useful to do this? thanks!

I've seen this in a few recipes now where they brewer will break up the extract into 2 batches, the first added as normal, and the second added late in the boil. What is logic behind this? What does it achieve and when is it useful to do this? thanks!

Late additions of malt extract pair nicely with the idea of a partial boil. How To Brew (4e) may be the best single resource for explanations as to why to use these two techniques together. Basically, long boils (60 minutes) of high gravity (say 1.100) extract can result in unexpected flavors when diluted to recipe gravity (say 1.050). With higher OG, hop utilization is impacted. Color can also be impacted (darker than expected).

With full volume boils, the benefits of a late extract addition would be lighter color and better hop utilization.

When I'm brewing with extract, I'm finding that shorter boils (especially 15 minute or 0 minute, but also with 30 minute) tend to remove the need for late extract additions. I get a slightly darker color (vs an all-grain batch), but the final color is still within the style guidelines that I use as a reference.

Late additions of malt extract pair nicely with the idea of a partial boil. How To Brew (4e) may be the best single resource for explanations as to why to use these two techniques together. Basically, long boils (60 minutes) of high gravity (say 1.100) extract can result in unexpected flavors when diluted to recipe gravity (say 1.050). With higher OG, hop utilization is impacted. Color can also be impacted (darker than expected).

With full volume boils, the benefits of a late extract addition would be lighter color and better hop utilization.

When I'm brewing with extract, I'm finding that shorter boils (especially 15 minute or 0 minute, but also with 30 minute) tend to remove the need for late extract additions. I get a slightly darker color (vs an all-grain batch), but the final color is still within the style guidelines that I use as a reference.

Thanks for the detailed reply. So if I understand correctly, this may benefit me. My mom is a fan of blonde ales but I've had trouble getting that crisp, clean with clear blonde color. So if I'm using an extra light DME, if I were to break it up into two additions, one at the start, one near the end would it help keep the color lighter?

Yes, late extract addition will help keep the beer lighter color. I find it convenient to add the late extract at flameout. That way the boil doesn't stop part way through, and the wort is never boiled at high gravity. I try to avoid having the boil stop because you loose the agitation in the kettle for a few minutes, and you could get some scorching. It's common to add around 1/4 - 1/2 of the extract at the beginning of the boil. I usually use enough for about 1.040 gravity during the boil.

Yes, late extract addition will help keep the beer lighter color. I find it convenient to add the late extract at flameout. That way the boil doesn't stop part way through, and the wort is never boiled at high gravity. I try to avoid having the boil stop because you loose the agitation in the kettle for a few minutes, and you could get some scorching. It's common to add around 1/4 - 1/2 of the extract at the beginning of the boil. I usually use enough for about 1.040 gravity during the boil.

Awesome, ty very much, I'm gonna give it a whirl

My mom is a fan of blonde ales but I've had trouble getting that crisp, clean with clear blonde color. So if I'm using an extra light DME, if I were to break it up into two additions, one at the start, one near the end would it help keep the color lighter?

A shorter boil (30 minutes rather than 60 minutes) will also help lighten the color some. A 30 minute boil seems to be long enough to boil off most of the hop favors / aromas that could come with bittering hops, and doesn't have a major impact on the amount of additional bittering hops that are needed.

An additional option would be to do a "partial mash". If you are steeping "specialty" malts for 30 minutes at around 150* F, all you would need to do is adjust the recipe to add some base malt (two-row, ...). If you're interested in this approach, I / we can provide some more details.

I've also read that doing a late addition helps eliminate the "extract twang" flavor associated with a partial boil. that and increasing the volume of the partial boil from something like 2.5G to 3.5G for a 5G batch. I think read too that it helps with maintaining the proteins needed for good head development.

Latest posts

Back