Adding DME after fermentation has started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohanTheMighty

Reaction score
My apologies if the general discussion forum is the wrong place, I didn't see any forums that appeared a better fit. That said, I am sorely in need of your expertise.

I started an IPA on Saturday and it wasn't until I had poured the wort into the bucket that I realized I had failed to add 3 pounds of DME that I had set aside from the rest when I was getting things tgether... don't ask, I just had a bad brain moment is all. Anyway, I want to add the DME, but I have little space left to work with in the pail. In fact, I'm using a blow-off hose because the airlock would dip into the wort (it's a 5 gal pail).

So, a friend of mine suggest I take about 48 ounces of the wort, put it into a pot, boil it, add the DME and boil for 15-20 mins, and then return to the bucket after cooling it. He's never done this, and I have this nagging thought in the back of my head that, being as there are so many ingredients in beer, taking this road could adversely affect the taste.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Either way, I am going to add the DME, it's just a matter of whether I mix it with boiling water or boiling wort.

I wouldn't think you'd need to boil it any further, as the boiling wort would sterilise the DME. Lots of beers have steps where you add fermentables wile fermentation is going on. Otherwise, this sounds like a good plan.

So, to be sure we're both on the same page, you're saying to go ahead, siphon out about 48 ounces of the now fermenting wort, boil it and add the DME to it as my friend suggested, cool it, and then pour the mixture into the bucket with the rest of the wort?

Well, since you are out of room, yes. If you had room, I'd say just boil it in water.

FYI - I am a noob at brewing, so don't take my words as canon. From what I've read here and other sites, though, I don't see why you couldn't.

Still, you might want to let others chime in and see if I am an idiot or not on this.

:)

I appreciate the input. I went ahead and did it and we'll see. I'm guessing if anything was "overcooked" it's a only a small amount and shouldn't make the beer undrinkable. I was careful not to splash and not long after I added the boiled wort/DME mixture the wort was fermenting along, so we'll see. Thanks for your input.

Even when using wort to dissolve it, the DME will take up some extra space--not sure how much. I'm trying to visualize 3 of those 1lb bags. Of course, there is air space in between the powder, so maybe the added volume won't be too great. Maybe a quart? Do you have room for that in your bucket?

When I first started brewing my roommate and I brewed several batches together and forgot to add the LME in one. We pulled out some wort, boiled it and added the LME. No problems.

Thanks for all y'alls input. I figure I'm going to have to sacrifice some of the wort to make room for the wort with all the newly added DME, but not too much.

Back