Adding DME after due to low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkasten12

Reaction score
I just brewed up my second batch of this Anderson Valley Summer Solstice clone recipe from that was posted on here by scottland. The first time I made the recipe it turned out perfect with the gravity reading and the taste of Summer Solstice. When I made my second batch last night, the OG came out way to low at 1.030. I am worried that the beer with be way too light and taste watered down. Is there any risk in boiling up a half gallon of water with say 2 pounds of light DME, cooling it and adding it to the primary to help get my gravity up? Should I add a little more of the Crystal 40 and 80 to the 2 pounds as well?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WYeast 2112/WLP810
Yeast Starter: 2L Starter
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 4 IBU
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 13 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks @ 62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks
Tasting Notes: This is a fantasticly close clone to Anderson Valley Summer Solstice

ABV: 5.6%
Summer Solstice Recipe:

Assuming 75% efficiency:
9 lbs 2-row
13 oz Crystal 40*
11 oz Crystal 80*
0.5 oz Northern Brewer Hops @ 15 minutes
WYeast 2112 (Make a nice big starter 2L+)
0.25-0.75oz of Vanilla extract added at Bottling/Kegging. 0.25oz is a great start, add to taste.

Mash at 150* for 60 minutes, Boil for 60 minutes, add hops with 15 minutes left.
Chill your wort down under 70*, and pitch your starter.

Back