Adding Concentrated Fruit Juice to IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay1

Reaction score
I want to start experimenting with adding a little fruit flavor to my one favorite IPA recipes. I've read about several different ways to do this but while I was in the grocery store I had an idea. Can I add a couple cans of concentrated Fruit Juice to the secondary?

My first plan was to get some frozen bags, thaw, puree, heat them up on the stove to pasteurize them, cool and pitch. With the cans of concentrate all I would have to do is get them up to temp and pitch because it's already pasteurized. My main concern with this method is, it's got corn syrup in it and since fermentation is already complete whats gonna happen when I pitch to the secondary. Will the left over yeasties kick into gear and take care of the additional sweetness of the corn syrup? I don't want this to be too sweet.

Thanks,
Jay

Hey Jay, Yea if your yeast are still active and you didn't wait to long to toss the concentrate in they should metabolize the sugars. Just make sure there are no preservatives in the concentrate. I've never tried this but its been on my mind for a while. Let me know how it turns out!

Crushed fruit rocks, but it can be a pain to remove the beer without getting chunks and floaters.

I think I'm just gonna go the fresh fruit route on this batch. I'm worried about all the other crap that's in the can of concentrate. I think next time I'll let it sit on primary then dump the juice in after 7-10 days depending on FG and just see what happens.

Back