Adding commercial beer to a keg of homebrew - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RootDownBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed an Amber Ale that was supposed to come out with a low FG to give it a dry feel and showoff some hops. I used Simcoe, Cascade and Equinox, all in the final 20 minutes, with the IBU's around 37.

What I got though was less attenuation than expected with the beer finishing up at 1.014 which has left this beer more malty, raisny, and somewhat thick without much of a hop presence. 9% of the grain bill was crystal malts so theres a sweetness about this beer now too.

After a few pints of this beer poured from my kegs I decided to mix one with a commercial IPA in a glass to blend it a little and really liked the result. Now I'm considering pouring a few cans into the keg directly to create the same blend for every beer. Has anyone ever done this? Obviously it's not truly homebrew at this point but I'd rather enjoy the beer I'm drinking.

Thoughts?

I would not do that. I would think you'd be risking introducing your beer to a good deal of oxygen doing that.
Perhaps just keep blending after you take a pull.

Back