Adding coffee to pressure barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerANDGin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a very specific question that I havent been able to find an answer to having trawled the web over the past couple of days.

I brewed a Left Hand Milk Stout clone back in May and it has been conditioning in a pressure barrel for just over a month.

I like it and have had really positive feedback from some friends who have tried it, however others have the same view as I have in that it is a little too sweet. I couldn't drink two pints in succession!

I think it's due to not reaching terminal gravity rather than the lactose added and I have been reading up on what I might do to reduce the sweetness. Adding cold brewed coffee or even bourbon seem to be the most popular suggestions, however all I have seen to date is advice to add either to the boil, or preferably to the FV , secondary FV or at bottling or kegging time.

My question is, would I be okay a month after racking to the pressure barrel, opening it up, adding coffee or bourbon and then resealing and repressurising using co2?

I realise there is always a risk of infection, or oxidisation, but wanted to gauge whether this is a sensible thing to do, or should I simply leave it to condition for several more weeks to see if the sweetness reduces over time?

Les

Should be fine. In the grand scheme of things, it's no different than adding it at the end of fermentation. The only thing to look out for, which probably won't be too big of a deal, is any foaming.

Back