Adding coffee beans to boil (Dayman IPA Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelso1cb

Reaction score
Love it or hate it...IMO I loved the Aleman/Two Brothers/Stone DayMan IPA.:rockin:

So after watching this video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jx-qGLXSG8[/ame]
I was wondering what everone's opinion is on the best way to add the coffee beans to the boil. Whole Beans, Cracked, Crushed, or ground?

dayman.jpg

From what I know, coffee isn't added during the boil, but brewed separately and added at bottling/kegging time. If you search, you can find lots of threads about different techniques for incorporating it.

I cold steeped 8 oz. of Papua New Guinea coffee in a quart of water for about a week in the fridge. I added it to primary about 5 days before kegging. It was a Porter and one of my best.

I tried to strain it though coffee filters. It did not work too well. Next time - coarse grind in a muslin bag.

I tried to strain it though coffee filters. It did not work too well. Next time - coarse grind in a muslin bag.

I tried straining through a coffee filter when I made a batch of leadgolem's coffee wine and yeah, it took forever (even for just 1 gallon). I've heard some people now are cold-brewing with 6-8 oz. of whole beans and you can get a nice fresh coffee aroma and flavor that way.

From what I know, coffee isn't added during the boil, but brewed separately and added at bottling/kegging time. If you search, you can find lots of threads about different techniques for incorporating it.
So lets go back to the main post....Watch the video. To make this beer, Coffee Beans were added to the boil. With that said how would you prepare the beans for the boil?

Sorry, I had a couple other things on in the background when I watched the video, and missed that he specifically said the coffee went in the boil. I'd think you would want to add within the last 15 minutes of the boil. Not sure if there would be a benefit to whole beans vs. cracked vs. grounds.

Latest posts

Back