adding chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erkwist

Reaction score
I let the wife decide on what to do with a stout. She picked chocolate raspberry. I have the raspberry extract, but not sure how or what kind of chocolate to add. What have you had good experience with? What amount is appropriate for a stout with another flavor involved? thanks in advance

I usually just take some cocoa power and mix it with water to make a paste. Then I just add it to the boil with 10 min. left. It gives a nice chocolate aroma and chocolate flavor. Also I don't know if you have it on your grain bill, but you can add a little chocolate malt to your mash.

Guess i should clarify, the stout is done with primary, needs to be moved. The raspberry and chocolate have not been added yet. I'm looking for advice on adding it post primary, but your suggestions for the next time are welcomed and appriciated.

Cocoa nibs then. A couple ounces or so thrown in to primary for a couple weeks or transfer to a secondary and add them.

Back