Adding Cereal After Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a stout a couple weeks ago, should come in around 8% haven't checked the FG yet. I want to add something to it and I am thinking of dry hopping with Reese's Puffs cereal before I keg it. I have read a couple of breweries have done this successfully most seem to make milk stouts.

Anyone have experience adding cereal after fermentation? Should I add something to stop additional fermentation of the sugars in the cereal?

Am I asking for a soggy mess?

Okay so yesterday, I bought a family size box of Reese's Puffs cereal put it in a 5-gallon paint strainer bag and placed it into my fermenter. I tried to weigh the bag down however I did not think about the fact that cereal floats.

Beer was at 8.6% ABV before adding the cereal.

As of today the bag has sunk about halfway down into the beer, and no additional fermentation has taken place. I have been slowly cold crashing the fermenter and plan to keg the beer later this week. I will report back with the results.

We did a beer and added fruity pebbles in mesh bag dry hop fashion for four days and man did it open our eyes to amount of sugar in cereal. Didn’t go heavy on bittering hops in recipe because we didn’t want to overpower fruit flavor. it was ridiculously sweet tasting. Had the fruity flavor but couldn’t get rid of sweetness. Next go around we’re upping the 60 minute hops a lot to try and balance from cereal dry hop.

Kegged it over the weekend beer not ruined!!Cereal did impart taste, although not a real strong peanut butter chocolate taste, more of a sweet corn puff cereal taste, maybe I needed more cereal?? Some oil was on top of the beer when I racked it, but the beer still pours with head, I'm wondering if it might not affect head retention because the oil floats on top of the beer.

I had ordered some Apex flavoring extract chocolate peanut butter flavor, so I added 2 tablespoons of that to the keg, now it is great.

Now that I know it did not ruin my beer I would attempt this method again probably with a more flavorful cereal next time.

We did a beer and added fruity pebbles in mesh bag dry hop fashion for four days and man did it open our eyes to amount of sugar in cereal. Didn’t go heavy on bittering hops in recipe because we didn’t want to overpower fruit flavor. it was ridiculously sweet tasting. Had the fruity flavor but couldn’t get rid of sweetness. Next go around we’re upping the 60 minute hops a lot to try and balance from cereal dry hop.
What kind of beer did you put fruity pebbles in? I'm picturing an IPA and that sounds delicious if you get the bittering right. although I imagine if you dry hop Fruity Pebbles in a light-colored beer it's going to produce a funky color

Back