Adding Carbonation???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
So I finally figured out the process of kegging. Or so I thought.
I set my psi to 25 for 60hours purged the pressure off. Reset to 10psi and everything was good. But I still think its not carbonated enough.
Can I just hit it another burst of CO2 at 20 or 30psi for 12/24 hours and it will have some more carbonation.
What's the remedy for this?

Most people would suggest setting around 10 for 2+ weeks. I've set at 30 , rolled the keg, let sit in fridge overnight, roll it again in the morning, set at 20. Goto work for about 9 hours, come home roll it again, roll it before going to sleep and set it at 10. So about 48 hours and I'm good.

Hello...here is how I carbonate my beer: set it to 30 psi (I do this to set rings and gaskets) I leave this for 24 hours...purge and set to 10-12 psi (depending on my beer) and leave for 1 week. If I am force carbonating, I set to 30 psi (again to set rings and gaskets) leave for an hour...purge, disconnect gas line and re-connect to out line (line where beer goes to tap) and leave for 48 hours.

SD-SLIM said:
Hello...here is how I carbonate my beer: set it to 30 psi (I do this to set rings and gaskets) I leave this for 24 hours...purge and set to 10-12 psi (depending on my beer) and leave for 1 week. If I am force carbonating, I set to 30 psi (again to set rings and gaskets) leave for an hour...purge, disconnect gas line and re-connect to out line (line where beer goes to tap) and leave for 48 hours.

Why do you connect it to the out line? What's that do?
My biggest question is will the beer aborb more co2 or is it done absorbing at a certain point?

If you leave the beer connected to the co2 line, it will continue to reach equilibrium. That means if it's undercarbed, turning it up will increase the carbonation level.

I'm not a fan of boosting up the co2 pressure overly high or shaking the keg.

It really depends on your kegerator temperature, but in my system, my fridge is at 40 degrees and my regulator is set at 12 psi. This results in perfectly carbonated beer for me!

Oops, keg system. Hate spellcheck sometimes.

(Nevermind, figured out the edit feature. New to this app as well.)

Yooper said:
If you leave the beer connected to the co2 line, it will continue to reach equilibrium. That means if it's undercarbed, turning it up will increase the carbonation level.

I'm not a fan of boosting up the co2 pressure overly high or shaking the keg.

It really depends on your kegerator temperature, but in my system, my fridge is at 40 degrees and my regulator is set at 12 psi. This results in perfectly carbonated beer for me!

How long do you set it or leave it alone before you drink it?

Why do you connect it to the out line? What's that do?
My biggest question is will the beer aborb more co2 or is it done absorbing at a certain point?

When force carbonating, I connect to the out line because it has a dip tube connected to it...connect gas to the dip tube and if forces co2 thru the bottom of your keg versus the top using the in post....I never ever shake or roll a keg, I did it once and had very overcarbonated beer!

In regards to co2 absorbtion, here is a great chart (you have to click on it to see it larger) and explanation on how to get co2 in to your beer: http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php

Just be careful if you hook it up for another 12-24 hours, you'd hate to OVERcarb it. I'd just leave it, as it will continue to reach equilibrium (as someone else mentioned), or you could just bump it up slightly, like 15-20 for maybe 8-12 hours max. I just tend to set mine at 30 for a day or so, then set it to 10-12, and within a few days it is getting pretty close to a full carb. It just sucks when you get too much carbonation, and you have to keep pulling the pressure release valve. I'd rather get a decent carb, to where I can at least have a sample here and there, and let it naturally carb the rest of the way.

SD-SLIM, I wonder if you turned the keg upside down, and just kept the co2 hooked up to the normal IN line, if it would have the same effect, or would the pressure from the liquid push through the gas line, since it would be hooked up at the bottom. It does make sense to push it through the out line, but I have a HELL of a time getting the gas on & off of the liquid line.

Just be careful if you hook it up for another 12-24 hours, you'd hate to OVERcarb it. I'd just leave it, as it will continue to reach equilibrium (as someone else mentioned), or you could just bump it up slightly, like 15-20 for maybe 8-12 hours max. I just tend to set mine at 30 for a day or so, then set it to 10-12, and within a few days it is getting pretty close to a full carb. It just sucks when you get too much carbonation, and you have to keep pulling the pressure release valve. I'd rather get a decent carb, to where I can at least have a sample here and there, and let it naturally carb the rest of the way.

SD-SLIM, I wonder if you turned the keg upside down, and just kept the co2 hooked up to the normal IN line, if it would have the same effect, or would the pressure from the liquid push through the gas line, since it would be hooked up at the bottom. It does make sense to push it through the out line, but I have a HELL of a time getting the gas on & off of the liquid line.

Chapa I have never tried turning it upside down, but in theory it could work...my only concern is that it my connections stick out higher than my keg, so I would be resting the weight of the keg on my gas line, no to mention adding extra pressure to my gaskets and rings (but they could handle it).
In regards to having a hard time connecting or disconnecting your gas line from your out post...they design them that way, but after 3 or 4 times it gets easier to pull off.

Back