Adding Brewing Salts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulseyou

Reaction score
So I am going to try and mess with my water profile for my next brew. Going to filter through a charcoal filter to remove Chlorine, then add campden tablets to remove Chloramine, then add brewing salts to build a water profile towards the beer I am brewing. My only question is how do I go about adding the various salts? Do I add them seperately to my mash water and sparge water? Or do I combine my mash and sparge, then add salts, then seperate the water again. Does it matter? i'm not sure I have a container that will hold that much water. Help appreciated!

I prepare separate batches for my water since my HLT holds only 9 gallons. That is not enough for both mash and sparge in my case. In addition, the alkalinity needs of the mash and sparge water may not be the same. So there might have to be a little difference in the water quality and mineral additions. However for the most part, the mineral content of both the mashing and sparging water should be similar. So aside from that alkalinity difference, you could just mix up a batch of water for the entire brew session and be done with it.

I will be attempting this for the first time tomorrow. I need a total water volume of 8 gallons (3 mash/5 sparge). Do I treat the 3 gallons for the mash with enough salts to treat the entire 8 gallons or just the 3 gallons? TIA

Back