Adding Brewed Espresso to Stout in Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChineseBrew

Reaction score
I do not plan on using a second ferment for my stout and was wondering if its okay to introduce my espresso directly into the primary fermentation after I have reached a 1.015 FG (OG was 1.055). Any danger is not doing a secondary? and does this seem the right time to add espresso?

Thanks.

I think it'd work fine. By that point you'd have enough alcohol to combat any bugs. Unless you believe that there's fermentables in the espresso, you could also likely just add it to the bottling bucket w/ your bottling sugar.

I am a bit worried about the fermentables... adding a great espresso that's called fruit bat... I think I'll add directly to the primary, or change the espresso and do it in the bottling bucket - cheers!

If "fruit bat" is regular home-brewed style espresso (and not some type of prepared commercial drink), it shouldn't have many fermentables. Espresso is typically low-carb (and thus low in fermentables).

Back