Adding Brett to a Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
I have a few questions about this so I will get straight to the point...

-At what point do you add the Brett, while primary is still taking place? Perhaps 3-4 days into primary fermentation?

-If I keep my temps up as I usually do for my Saison (80-85 degrees) will this affect the Brett's flavor at all?

-How much Brett should I use? If I am only using it for a mild brett flavor. Perhaps half a smack pack?

-Last, do I need to age the Saison out for a year, like you would do with a typical sour? I am hoping to have a Saison ready for mid-late july?

scottyg354 said:
I have a few questions about this so I will get straight to the point...

-At what point do you add the Brett, while primary is still taking place? Perhaps 3-4 days into primary fermentation? Depends. All Brett ferment usually means less Brett character. I add it near end of primary Sacc ferment.

-If I keep my temps up as I usually do for my Saison (80-85 degrees) will this affect the Brett's flavor at all? Not sure.

-How much Brett should I use? If I am only using it for a mild brett flavor. Perhaps half a smack pack? I think the flavor has more to do with what you want the Sacc to eat--the longer chains seem to give more Brett character in my limited experience.

-Last, do I need to age the Saison out for a year, like you would do with a typical sour? Absolutely not. Brett ferments slightly slower than Sacc overall, but it's not necessary to wait a year. I did an all-Brett APA recently that finished in 3-4 weeks.

I am hoping to have a Saison ready for mid-late july?

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back