Adding a Steelhead 2.0 pump to my Brewzilla 65L?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheInnKeeper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To start I'm very new to brewing and especially electric brewing, just did my first brew on my BrewZilla 65L, its amazing.....feels like I'm cheating its just sooooo easy moving from an old school beginner plastic 5 gallon store brew kit.

Anyways I have this compact steelhead 2.0 magnetic pump I got dirt cheap(clearance) a few months back from midwest supplies sitting in a box collecting dust.

I plan to mount it to my brew stand and connect it up to the drain valve on the Brewzilla and atleast use it for transfers, sparging and an emergency backup pump if\when the internal brewzilla pump clogs.

So beyond the above I guess I have a question about using the the BrewZilla pump to run the whirlpool arm accessory while simultaneously using the Steelhead 2.0 pump to keep liquid running through the grain.

Any thoughts specifically as far any advantage to running both pump simultaneously to get more grain and water movement?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• BREW_STAND.jpg
    BREW_STAND.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 27
Any thoughts specifically as far any advantage to running both pump simultaneously to get more grain and water movement?

No advantages...youre asking for trouble by doing that of running the elements dry. Would not advise at all...and there really is no reason for a second pump...the internal pump does a fine job.

No advantages...youre asking for trouble by doing that of running the elements dry. Would not advise at all...and there really is no reason for a second pump...the internal pump does a fine job.

But if the internal pump is hooked up to the whirl pool arm its immediately returning water to the very bottom of the unit; so there's no advantage to additional water flow\movement throughout the grain bed?

Also the steelhead 2.0 is rated to 120C(248F) so I can run it during the boil without worry

I'm mounting it one way or another(for transfers and backup) but I had hoped to gain some possible efficiency by having more movement and flow through the grain bed :-( oh well it sounded good on paper, thanks for taking the time to reply!

Last edited:
But if the internal pump is hooked up to the whirl pool arm its immediately returning water to the very bottom of the unit; so there's no advantage to additional water flow\movement throughout the grain bed?

You shouldnt be using the whirlpool arm for recirculation during the mash...that defeats the purpose of bringing wort back over the top of the grain bed.

Second, why would you run the pump during the boil? Unless you're moving wort to sanitize your chiller that seems unnecessary.

Latest posts

Back