Small CO2 Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT4

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Vissani Kegerator with two 1/6 kegs. I want to move my CO2 tank to inside the kegerator I assume I have enough room behind the keg that is shifted forward but I wont be able to see the gauges or easily turn CO2 tank on/off. I seem to have enough room in front of the keg that is shifted to the back but no room for the regulator. I am looking for a small regulator that would not take up more footprint then the tank itself.

I found some mini regulators online but they only have one gauge and really need to know how much I have left in the tank (no spare tank). I also found a remote kit (gauge and HP hose) but I assume due to the HP hose this was very expensive. Any other ideas out there to share?

Thanks,
J.T.

I found some mini regulators online but they only have one gauge and really need to know how much I have left in the tank (no spare tank).

The high pressure gauge doesn't tell you how much CO2 is left in the tank. The vast majority of the CO2 in the tank exists as a liquid, with a relatively small mass of gas above it. The pressure of that gas is a constant (for any given temperature). Full, half full, one quarter full...doesn't matter. By the time you see the needle on that gauge drop, you're on fumes (literally).

I know a guy who installs CO2 systems for a living. The first thing he does is replace the nearly useless high pressure gauge with a plug.

The high pressure gauge doesn't tell you how much CO2 is left in the tank.

that may be true...but it does let you know when you need to get a swap within a week or so, before it's totally empty...

as far the tank, could you fit a scale in the fridge to keep an eye on the weight of the tank?

I periodically weigh mine. There is a “tare weight” stamped on the cylinder. I weigh mine with the regulator on and anything over that weight is CO2. I also seem to recall a small scale that the cyl sits on that gives you a regular update on cyl weight.

Back