adding 1/2 gallon of water to raise mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just let it ride ... most of the conversion is done at that point anyway ... but if you wanted to add it go ahead .. it wont hurt anything ... just be sure to account for the additional water you used ... cheers !!

i measured a little more than a half gallon and it brought it right back to starting mash temp. thanks for the advice. i am in the middle of it right now. :mug:

I've had to do that a few times and have never had an issue. Just measure your runnings so you get the right volume in the kettle. :tank:

I would have done the same. If you're doing a step mash, and you don't have a burner, or pumps and a RIMS/HERMS system, adding hot water is the only way to raise the mash temp. If you find that you need to raise your mash temp every time, I would suggest starting with a *slightly* lower water to grist ratio. In all practicality, if you're already starting with 1.25 quarts per pound, you can stay there :)

Back