Added too little water to my extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klimp

Reaction score
So I bought my very first brewing kit and started brewing. I followed the instructions and soon it was done. I added yeast and closed fermenter. Moments later I realised, that in fermenter there was 1.85 gallons of liquid instead of 2.4 gallons. I cheked gravity and it was 1.095 instead of 1.070. I didn't think much of it (mistake) but after some researchers I started worring about probable outcome. Today, a week later, i cheked gravity and it was 1.033. Can anyone tell me what my beer will be like and is it worth even bottling it?

Impacts:
- darker beer
- higher ABV
- more body/mouthfeel
- more malt flavor
- more hop flavor (could balance the increase malt flavor, more or less)

I would bottle it. It will still be beer. And a learning experience.

So I bought my very first brewing kit and started brewing. I followed the instructions and soon it was done. I added yeast and closed fermenter. Moments later I realised, that in fermenter there was 1.85 gallons of liquid instead of 2.4 gallons. I cheked gravity and it was 1.095 instead of 1.070. I didn't think much of it (mistake) but after some researchers I started worring about probable outcome. Today, a week later, i cheked gravity and it was 1.033. Can anyone tell me what my beer will be like and is it worth even bottling it?
You should have topped off right away with boiled and cooled water to reach 2.4 gallons.

Yes topping up with boiled and cooled water would have been the best option but since you knew both your current and target gravity a calculator such as this ---> Dilution And Boiloff Gravity Calculator - Brewer's Friend would have given you the exact amount of water needed to reach the desired gravity. In your case .66 gallons making your new volume 2.5 gallons. Like @VikeMan stated I'd bottle it and take those lessons to my next brew day.

Back