Added mango purée into primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shem_rah_brew

Reaction score
Hey guys, just tried brewing my second batch, Belgian saison, and I wanted to add some mango purée, I was instructed to add it into secondary but it being my second batch and me being me, I made the mistake of adding the purée into the fermenter. Not sure if this is going to ruin the batch considering I added it after I pitched the yeast. Any advice or help would be great. Thanks.

You should have waited 4 or 5 days to add it to primary. You’re good to go though. Relax... Don’t forget to take notes. You will learn from them.
Brew on.

How much puree? If it's less than a few pounds it's no big deal at all .

If it is more than that it may just carry some flavour over to the next beer if you reuse the yeast.

And what day did you add it? A good portion of fruit smells and fragrances will blow out with the initial primary fermentation (first 3days) so I usually let most of my femrents go to near end before fruit (which will kickstart a smaller fermentation again)

Ok so this is how it went...

I did the 60 minute boil and let it cool down to around 75-80. I pitched yeast at a little higher temp because I heard it releases a more fruity effervescence into the beer if you pitch at a higher temp. So after I pitched yeast and mixed it around a little I was about to cover the fermenter when I realized the purée.... and then panic hit me and I thought I was about to forget/miss a step so I cracked the can open and dumped it into the bucket the same day... meh. Definitley learning still and need to get the process down and be a little more precise with temperature control. I need to invest in a thermometer as well [emoji23]

You're fine. If you had added it to secondary, it would have kicked off a 'secondary' fermentation when the yeast realized there was more sugar to be eaten. You just combined it. Its best to do it in two steps, but one step is fine. Cheers!

Back