Add water during primary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal_nerd

Reaction score
first time brewer.

I'm brewing an american pale ale and I am in the in the primary fermentation in a 6.5 g glass carboy, about 14 hours deep.

I realized that I may not have enough water in there. I used 2 2.5 gallon spring water jugs, one for the brewing process and the other for de-concentrating the wort in the carboy. I'm worried, though, because a portion of that water may have boiled off during the brew.

Should I add a pint or two of water to the carboy to make up for what I lost in the boil? Is it better to not mess with the wort once I have pitched the yeast and sealed it? How close to 5 gallons does there need to be during fermentation? I don't want everything to be too strong. If 4.75 gallons isn't a big difference, than no worries.

Thanks!!!

first time brewer.

I'm brewing an american pale ale and I am in the in the primary fermentation in a 6.5 g glass carboy, about 14 hours deep.

I realized that I may not have enough water in there. I used 2 2.5 gallon spring water jugs, one for the brewing process and the other for de-concentrating the wort in the carboy. I'm worried, though, because a portion of that water may have boiled off during the brew.

Should I add a pint or two of water to the carboy to make up for what I lost in the boil? Is it better to not mess with the wort once I have pitched the yeast and sealed it? How close to 5 gallons does there need to be during fermentation? I don't want everything to be too strong. If 4.75 gallons isn't a big difference, than no worries.

Thanks!!!

I wouldn't touch it. Did you take a starting gravity reading? If so, was it what it should have been? If so, you'll have exactly what you should have if you followed the recipe correctly, you just won't have as much of it.

If you add any water, you risk infection and oxidation. Also you'll just water your beer down.

I guarantee you, in 10 days, you will have beer.
And as Revvy said--No Touchy!

No, it's beer.....It is fine as it is...Did you take a gravity reading?

You will have 4.75 gallons of a slightly stronger (only a couple grav points) beer....That's all...

Stepaway_copy.jpg

You may want to consider marking gallons off on your carboy, that way when you are topping off (or what you called de-concentrating) you will see how much water you will need....

Search for the thread (I think in DIY) for glass etching carboys...though you could use nailpolish or a sharpie as well...or even tape marks at the gallons.

original gravity reading of wort was 1032 @ 77 degrees f before pitching yeast.

Is that pretty far off of where it should have been?

original gravity reading of wort was 1032 @ 77 degrees f before pitching yeast.

Is that pretty far off of where it should have been?

First--Stop worrying.

Second--At 77* your reading is actually a couple points higher depending on the calibration of your hydrometer. At 77*, I can add .002 to my readings and be accurate. This would make yours 1.034. which would give you about 4% alcohol if you fiished to 1.010

Also, we would need to know the recipe to know exactly what your OG should have been.

Leave it alone.

It will turn into beer even if it's a little stronger than you intended. If you screw with it and end up getting some bugs in there that don't belong, you may end up ruining the whole batch.

Tom

I compensated .002 points because of temp, so original reading was 1.030.

now I'm concerned, because original recipe calls for O.G. 1.052 :(

Usually when this happens it just means you didn't get the wort and the top off water mixed thoroughly before taking a reading. It happens all the time and NO, it is not a problem. The yeast will find the sugar just fine. It is pretty much impossible for your OG to be different than stated on the recipe unless you forgot to add something.

You just want to worry about everything don't you????:D

This is not a mewling baby that will die if you look at it crosseyed....YOU MADE BEER...Walk away trust that 3,000 years of yeast doing their jobs is going to make you something that you are going to enjoy...

haha, thanks for reality check Revvy. I'm not that concerned... As with most things, what's happening under the hood is pretty basic and not that easy to mess up.

"relax, your having a homebrew!"

Back