Add Brett to Belgian Quad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathematics

Reaction score
Brewed 7/19/13 with an OG of 1.12, racked after 6 months and then just again last night (kinda forgot about it in a corner of the basement...). Anyways FG is sitting at 1.023, which is about 12.75%.

I was expecting it to have spoiled as the airlock was just about dry but to my surprise its pretty good...raisiny smooth with a bit more malt flavor than Belgian yeast flavor (believe I used 575). Not thick or overly sweet but definitely not as dry/light as I'd like.

Debating adding dregs from a couple bottles of Orval, letting it sit for a couple more months, bottling in July, and hopefully have some pretty interesting beer for Xmas presents. Figure I'd have to add yeast either way to bottle carb...Thoughts?

5 gallon batch, I don't have 2.5gal carboys otherwise I'd split it into a Brett & non-Brett batch.

Debating adding dregs from a couple bottles of Orval, letting it sit for a couple more months, bottling in July, and hopefully have some pretty interesting beer for Xmas presents. Figure I'd have to add yeast either way to bottle carb...Thoughts?

if you add brett, you don't need another yeast to prime beer in bottle, just wait: 12% alcohol will slow priming for sure

if you add brett, you don't need another yeast to prime beer in bottle, just wait: 12% alcohol will slow priming for sure

Thanks for the reply.

Some Orval sounded tasty so I had a couple bottles & pitched the dregs last night. Will probably let it sit for a few months, then bottle & hope they're good to go by Xmas.

Did this beer ever turn out? I’m planning a quad brew day in the near future and want to throw some Orval at it.

Back