??Add Applejuice to Brewsmith??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Click on Grains and Extracts entry in the panel on the left
Click New Grain or Extract button at top

Name: Apple Juice
SG = 1.046
SRM = 3.0
Type: Extract
Everything else can stay as defaults.
Click OK.
I entered it. Only problem is I dont think Beersmith is calculating the ABV right. Do I still go with LBS or is there a way to enter it as Gal/qts?

Sorry, my fault. I forgot to tell you that you need to enter lbs instead of gallons. For example, if you use 5.5 gallons of juice, enter 5.5 lbs and the numbers should work out right.

Let me know how that works for you.

I'll try it when I get home. Thanks.

Wouldn't it be more accurate tyo just figure for pressed apples? For example, it takes approximately 42 pounds of apples to make 1 gallon of juice. Depending on variety. And most juice yeilds a SG 1.042 per galon.

Or just weigh a gallon of juice.

Sorry, my fault. I forgot to tell you that you need to enter lbs instead of gallons. For example, if you use 5.5 gallons of juice, enter 5.5 lbs and the numbers should work out right.

Let me know how that works for you.

Could this possibly be true? I mean have you confirmed this?

1 gallon of water weighs in at 8 pounds and juice is mostly water.

It is vary strange, but I followed passedpawn's advice, and my numbers all fell right into place. I pressed my own cider, last year, and it was at 1.045. I added the apple cider to Brewsmith. When I was doing my recipes, I would use the number of pounds per gallon (~8 pounds per gallon) and multiply that out. So if I was using 4 gallons of cider, I put in 32 pounds into the recipe, and I was getting an OG of something outrageous, like 1.320. After changing it to the actual number of gallons, my OG's fell right where they should be.

Could this possibly be true? I mean have you confirmed this?

1 gallon of water weighs in at 8 pounds and juice is mostly water.

Yes, I have confirmed it is correct (as much as is possible, when I made apfelwein). And it makes sense, too.

The gravity of applejuice is 1.046 (average). SG of a grain indicates the gravity of 1# of that grain mashed into 1 gallon of water. Just think about it, it is correct.

I think I measured the gravity of applejuice when I made apfelwein (yech). I looked around the internet for the SRM, and took an average.

Yes, I have confirmed it is correct (as much as is possible, when I made apfelwein). And it makes sense, too.

The gravity of applejuice is 1.046 (average). SG of a grain indicates the gravity of 1# of that grain mashed into 1 gallon of water. Just think about it, it is correct.

I think I measured the gravity of applejuice when I made apfelwein (yech). I looked around the internet for the SRM, and took an average.

I trust you are right. Mostly cause you checked the gravity.

You'd think BS would allow a unit of gallons tho'. For all those pesky liquid additions we make to beer.

I trust you are right. Mostly cause you checked the gravity.

You'd think BS would allow a unit of gallons tho'. For all those pesky liquid additions we make to beer.

Measure it for yourself. It was a year ago and I truly don't remember exactly what I did :drunk: I did drink that apfelwein between then and now, so....

Yeah. I am actually not that interested in ABV. But, I definitely agree, the ONLY way to really know is to take a gallon of the juice and get a reading. Mostly because it can and will vary depending on varietal, season, and brand.

It is vary strange, but I followed passedpawn's advice, and my numbers all fell right into place. I pressed my own cider, last year, and it was at 1.045. I added the apple cider to Brewsmith. When I was doing my recipes, I would use the number of pounds per gallon (~8 pounds per gallon) and multiply that out. So if I was using 4 gallons of cider, I put in 32 pounds into the recipe, and I was getting an OG of something outrageous, like 1.320. After changing it to the actual number of gallons, my OG's fell right where they should be.

This is exactly what I did and BS came up with an ABV of 1.335 or something. I mean it makes complete sense when you do the math but it just doesnt work.

I was trying to figure this out myself. I discovered that if you put the apple juice in as an adjunct instead of extract or sugar, then beersmith calculates it differently. You will get the correct gravity by putting in the 41.5 lbs of apple juice.

+++++++++++++ADJUNCT+++++++++++++++++

Back