Add 3 More Brewers to the Rolls!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiochiro3

Reaction score
Just wanted to brag a little and pass on a funny anecdote. My son and his roommates wanted to get into brewing, so I sent down a bunch of my duplicate gear to get them started. They chose a Hefeweizen kit and brewed it 2 weeks ago. Their brew day was hilarious -- involving at least 8 phone calls and another 8-10 texts to get through it. It was quite comical.

Now I've got to tell you, these are three extremely bright college seniors with backgrounds in AP sciences, etc. I'm talking 4.0+ GPA, near-perfect SAT scores -- the whole bit. The most hilarious moment came when it was time to measure OG. I'm on speaker phone with my son:

Me: "Sanitize the hydrometer and drop it in the wort for your reading."
Son: "What am I supposed to read?"
Me: "Read what it says on the paper."
Son: "I can't see any reading."
Me: "Just look at the marks on the paper in the tube and tell me what it says."
Son: "It doesn't say anything. It's not giving a reading."
Me (after a short pause): "Let go of the hydrometer!"
Son: "Ohhhhhhh!" followed by raucous laughter by everyone....

They made it through and bottled today. Then sent me this picture:

20130527_125642.jpg

We have new brewers in the family!

That's funny. I was expecting them to say "it dosen't say anything,I have to read it?!". :D I see some deep dents in those caps though. What did they use for a capper,the old hammer & punch style?

Careful capping so hard as unionrdr said. I have actually broken the neck off a bottle while capping too hard, scary stuff.

Careful capping so hard as unionrdr said. I have actually broken the neck off a bottle while capping too hard, scary stuff.

Yeah, I'll see him this weekend and talk to him about it. Thanks. They were pretty amped up! :D

Latest posts

Back