Acetone scent and bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw1818

Reaction score
Hello all.. I've looked around for the answer to this question, but haven't been able to find it. I brewed a beer 3 weeks ago and am not using a secondary. About a week ago the beer smelled great, but now it has a strong nail polish smell which I realize is acetone.. My question is, is there any benefit to letting it sit a little longer before bottling or should I just go ahead and bottle? This sucks....Thanks!

Usually this can be attributed to high fermentation temperatures and oxidation and at this point it probably will not go away with more time, sorry. You can certainly bottle it and stash it away for a few months and see what happens........

It's a ketone and a fairly volatile one. It may dissipate do to it's volatility but probably won't completely go away. Definitely work on keeping those fermentation temperatures down.

Latest posts

Back