Acetaldehyde in my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benighted

Reaction score
Hey guys, my stout has been in the fermenter for about a month now and I decided to bottle it tonight. I took a sip before I bottled and got a fairly decent amount of green apple. Will this go away with time in the bottle?

Uh, no. If you do nothing, Acetaldehyde will not get reabsorbed by dormant yeast. So far I have only heard of one person being able to correct this issue. He brewed a second batch of the same beer and mixed them together.

Make sure you oxygenate your beer well before pitching to prevent this. I had an issue with Acetaldehyde when I was first getting started and simply pouring my wort between two buckets fixed it forever.

I don't think the acetaldehyde will age out in the bottle. It does, however, evaporate at about 70 F. The best thing you could do is to warm it up for a week or so before you bottle it. If it's already in the bottles, it might be permanent.

Hey guys, my stout has been in the fermenter for about a month now and I decided to bottle it tonight. I took a sip before I bottled and got a fairly decent amount of green apple. Will this go away with time in the bottle?

Would you post the recipe including the yeast and water?

I don't think the acetaldehyde will age out in the bottle. It does, however, evaporate at about 70 F. The best thing you could do is to warm it up for a week or so before you bottle it. If it's already in the bottles, it might be permanent.

Yeast can break down acetaldehyde to ethanol in the fermenter. Why do you thing it won't happen in the bottle. There should be plenty of yeast in the bottles to do the job. Store the bottles warm (mid 70's) for a couple weeks.

Back