Accurate Refrigerator Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlarham

Reaction score
I just got my birthday present -- a refrigerator from which will be born my kegerator.

Got it all cleaned up, but not sure about how to gauge the temp inside the fridge? My thermometer (oven type) reads 25 at the current setting...but a probe in a beer bottle full of water reads 39.

So which should I go by?

I'd like a 45 degree interior for beer so I can balance my kegs for proper carbonation. Should I get the water to read 45 or the air?

-- T.

I just got my birthday present -- a refrigerator from which will be born my kegerator.

Got it all cleaned up, but not sure about how to gauge the temp inside the fridge? My thermometer (oven type) reads 25 at the current setting...but a probe in a beer bottle full of water reads 39.

So which should I go by?

I'd like a 45 degree interior for beer so I can balance my kegs for proper carbonation. Should I get the water to read 45 or the air?

-- T.

i would go with 39 how long has the water been in the frig?

Measuring the air temp will drive you nuts and not give you an accurate reading. Put a mercury thermometer in a glass of water and let it sit for 24 hours. The air temp can fluctuate if the door is opened. Also, place the water away from any internal fan as this will give you a colder reading than the overall temp in the fridge.

An oven thermometer is more or less useless at refrigerator temperatures. By probe, do you mean your external controller's probe?

So a thermometer set inside a vial of water reads 38F in my fridge after a few days at the fridge's warmest setting. The dial is turned to 1 -- is this normal for fridges to cool this cold?

-- T.

So a thermometer set inside a vial of water reads 38F in my fridge after a few days at the fridge's warmest setting. The dial is turned to 1 -- is this normal for fridges to cool this cold?

-- T.

Yes, 40F is the upper safe limit to prevent bacterial growth. Most people don't know this, and manufacturers don't want someone killing them self because they didn't set the temp low enough.

Back