Accidentally kickstarted my mead... like too understand..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrspock

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Aug 2016, I started a batch of mead using my honey-extractor washing water. There were no measurements taken. Yeast was thrown in (L111), and it was left to sit.

By Oct 2017, it was still quite sweet. My tongue tells me it was about 9% alcohol. It seemed stalled, so I added another pack of Lalvin 1118.

I noticed today that it's in full ferment. Bubbles are a roaring.

Can anyone explain to me what may have happened here? Was adding the yeast a good thing, and what is the tradeoff to doing so?

In my limited experience (a year of brewing 7 batches, 2 of which were mead and assisting my dad with a fw wine batches), it probably would have been just fine before hand, unless is was too sweet for you or you wanted to boost ABV. Likely all that first yeast died out, either temp, ABV or just a bad bit of yeast but anyway, that yeast crapped out before all the sugars were digested and when you added the next bit of yeast there was enough sugar remaining to "jumpstart" it and cause "a second primary fermentation" if you will. probably won't cause any issues, just dry potent mead.

1118 is a beast. It will blow through almost anything. It will also blow away fruit flavors.

In my limited experience (a year of brewing 7 batches, 2 of which were mead and assisting my dad with a fw wine batches), it probably would have been just fine before hand, unless is was too sweet for you or you wanted to boost ABV. Likely all that first yeast died out, either temp, ABV or just a bad bit of yeast but anyway, that yeast crapped out before all the sugars were digested and when you added the next bit of yeast there was enough sugar remaining to "jumpstart" it and cause "a second primary fermentation" if you will. probably won't cause any issues, just dry potent mead.

Great response. Thanks for confirming/explaining.

Back