Accidentally doubled my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dclubb83

Reaction score
So I brewed my first all grain batch today, and I guess because I was distracted by making sure I did the mashing process and everything correctly, I forgot how to convert ounces to grams and accidentally doubled the amount of hops I put in.

I was brewing an APA with a target OG of 1.050 and 45 ibu and I ended up hitting 1.047 and, with the doubling of the hops, the ibus came to about 85.

Is this beer going to be horrible?

Lol well I thought of that, but I was wondering if the ratio of ibu to gravity was too high to be enjoyable.

It's not like I'm gonna dump it out without getting through bottling and trying it, but I'm just wondering what to expect.

When were the addition? All bittering or were there late aroma additions, too?

You might want to do a good dry-hop to really get a proper IPA nose.

There was also another issue. A friend of mine was going to the brew store, so I gave him a shopping list for me for this batch. The list included Chinook and Cascade, and he brought me Chinook and Centennial. So I decided to see how it turned out anyway...

My additions (one gallon batch by the way)
0.25 oz Chinook @ 60
0.25 oz Centennial @ 20
0.125 oz Centennial @ 5
0.125 oz Centennial @ Flame out

In the original recipe all of those amounts were cut in half and all of the Centennials were Cascades.

Lol well I thought of that, but I was wondering if the ratio of ibu to gravity was too high to be enjoyable.

It's not like I'm gonna dump it out without getting through bottling and trying it, but I'm just wondering what to expect.

Yeah it might not be very strong, it will just be super hoppy/bitter. It might not taste typical but I think it will still taste good.

this could be your best beer you've made

i know sometimes when i am brewing and have to improvise that the beer comes out better than i thought

flip side sometimes it doesn't.....

I agree with jtratcliff, dry hop the crap out of it and hang on for a roller coaster ride of ipa goodness!

Since the bulk of the hops were at 5 minutes and flame out they will not add a lot of bitterness. SO you should be good.

I like the combo of Chinook and Centennial. I use that combo a lot.

Should be a good brew.

Taste it at bottling. Then you can consider adding something like Stevia which won't ferment out. Flavor additions sometimes help (vanilla, orange, etc.). But Stevia works for me at bottling for a beer that's too bitter - start with 1/2 cup and see how it tastes.

AFTER you are done adding the Stevia, don't forget you will still need to add your priming sugar but of course that will ferment/carbonate out.

Cheers!

I would just bottle it as it is without adding anything else. Hop flavor and aroma fades with time so if it is too intense, a little extra time in the bottles and it will mellow.

I'd say that the bittering hops seem out of balance with the later additions for my preference, but that would have been the case for my tastes had you not accidentally doubled them as well.

Either bottle as is or do some dry hopping. There's no wrong answers - just a matter of finding what you like.

(adjusted for a five gallon batch)
1.25 oz Chinook @ 60
1.25 oz Centennial @ 20
0.6 oz Centennial @ 5
0.6 oz Centennial @ Flame out

seriously though, I would dry hop the crap out of that to balance out the bitterness, like at least a 0.25 oz (for your 1 gal).

Should be a good ISA in the end!

Back