Accidental Sour Strawberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TanMan15

Reaction score
Despite being told that Strawberries are tough to work with, I went for a Strawberry Wheat anyway.

I bottled about a week ago and cracked one open last night for a tasting. It's only been a week, but it tastes pretty tart. Maybe it will subside and I'm not sure if it's a wild bacteria or just the taste the strawberries but I think I accidentally made a sour beer! There is certainly a distinct strawberry aroma and I'm wondering if the tartness will subside with some aging, but either way, I love sours, so I'm keeping it.

Anyone else had an experience like this from strawberries?

Despite being told that Strawberries are tough to work with, I went for a Strawberry Wheat anyway.

I bottled about a week ago and cracked one open last night for a tasting. It's only been a week, but it tastes pretty tart. Maybe it will subside and I'm not sure if it's a wild bacteria or just the taste the strawberries but I think I accidentally made a sour beer! There is certainly a distinct strawberry aroma and I'm wondering if the tartness will subside with some aging, but either way, I love sours, so I'm keeping it.

Anyone else had an experience like this from strawberries?

Fresh or frozen strawberries?

I made a strawberry/vanilla cream ale with frozen strawberries and didn't get any tartness...the strawberry really only presented itself on the nose.

Fresh or frozen strawberries?

I made a strawberry/vanilla cream ale with frozen strawberries and didn't get any tartness...the strawberry really only presented itself on the nose.

I used a mix of frozen strawberries, homemade strawberry extract (strawberries soaked in rum), and all natural pure extract. Might have been overkill, but if anything, I think it was the homemade extract that had some tartness to it.

Back