Accidental sour fail and success?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head

Reaction score
Here's what's up:

I decided to brew a batch of beer with my home grown hops straight from the bine. I collected one entire columbus bine just for this 5 gallon batch. I ended up picking in the morning and brewing around noon. I saved about a pound of the fresh hops for an IPA I was putting in secondary and a pound for after the boil on the fresh hopped beer.

After initial fermentation I was extremely busy and didn't get around to racking immediately, then a week later there was new activity in the airlock. When I pulled back the towel on the carboys, there was a slight pellicle forming.

I left the beers for a few weeks until there was no change and bottled as normal.

The IPA that was racked on the fresh hops didn't pick up any further aroma, but it has some very, very slight vinous characteristics. Quite pleasant.

The all fresh hopped beer is pronounced in vinous character, I enjoy it(because I must) and only one other person to try it has liked it.

I figure it's because of whatever was on the fresh hops.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Happy accident? I may change over time. You should save some to use as a starter if things keep going well.

I also had another happy accident that has me wondering whether I need a set of clean equipment. I brewed 3 quick easy beers at once: a patersbier, a wheat ale, and a nut brown. They all turned out great, after bottle conditioning they tasted just like they should. I let them sit in storage for about a month and then they started to be extra effervescent when opening. All three were changing flavor.

The patersbier barely changed.

The wheat became very, very good, slight tart.

The nut brown tasted strange, but drinkable for a couple of months, and settled as a pleasantly mild sour beer.

I'm definitely not complaining, but I wonder if my bottling equipment might all be sour only from now on.

Something is definitely going on that's for sure. Your lucky compared to me, my accidental infections were completely undrinkable. Just keep going over your process from start to finish and you will rid yourself of the...for back of a better word "problem".

Back