Acceptable method of aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuyser

Reaction score
I have just been pouring back in forth about 4-5 time between sanatize plastic buckets. Is this an alright form of aeration?:drunk:

It will certainly add some oxygen to the beer. It is not ideal since the amount of oxygen getting into the beer is not a ton, but it is certainly better than no aeration. Just make sure you have good sanitation and are careful as you pour back and forth.

That's probably not enough. A lo-tech solution that I use was to go get a paint stirrer that attaches to a power drill and whip the brew into a froth. That's an improvement but bubbling oxygen would be even better.

That will work, not as good as bubbling pure O2 but it will get some O2 in there. I personally stopper my better bottle and then shake it vigorously a few times or until my arms get tired.

I have used the "pour from kettle to bucket" method for all of my brews. I just used a sanitized spoon and violently stir the friggin crap out of it, making sure to create lots of turbulence in the wort, until I have a thick froth on top. Then pitch the yeast and repeat the stirring process.

It makes your arms tired, but it's enough. I have had many, many fantastic beers using this method. You should be good as long as you're sanitizing your stuff.

Don't worry about it. If it yields good beer, you're obviously doing just fine.

I strain with a cheese cloth or paint strainer into a bucket, and then I strain using a fine mesh filter into the carboy. Then I put a rubber stopper in, put the carboy on its side, and proceed shake the ever living daylights out of that thing. I mean, I put the abject fear of God in that wort. The entire time I'm shaking it, I'm screaming at the top of my lungs "YOU WILL FERMENT OUT AND YOU WILL LIKE IT - DO YOU HEAR ME? LOOK AT ME YOU WORTY PUNK!!!!!!!!!" I've had the cops called on me several times during this process, but I'll be darned if that stuff isn't frothy as a mofo. A night in jail is a small price to pay for proper aeration.

Also an easy way to get pretty good aeraition is, first rehydrate yeast if dry start this at beginning of brew them pitch into fermenter Before transfer. The point is to get O2 in for the yeast, as you transfer no matter how try to incorporate air. If you are syphoning from kettle to primary keep your hose out of the wart and move the hose around you will start to get foam right away. With out rehydrating your yeast you can put as much o2 as you want but it can't use it. Spoons are great but a wisk will put more air with less effort. And if you can get a hold of a O2 tank for a torch even a small one the O2 in them is the same purity as medical O2 tanks. You don't even need a regulater just crack the valve and put a the hose from your syphon to the tank then thow the centerpiece of syphon into the fermenter. Blast for about 25 sec and you will be good.
There are lots of videos on uTube of how to oxygenate check them out but Remimber O2 can escape you brew before yeast is rehydrated and then all the work to get it in is a waste. Fish tank pumps can get O2 in as well never tryed cause I have torch tank. Hope this helps and good brewing it gets funer and easyer.

how 'bout a small aquarium pump and airstone? after you transfer from kettle to fermenter, run that guy for about 10 mins. no shaking, stirring, or cussing can whip up a froth like that. i think the only better way is direct o2, but that's a bit price-y and seldom necessary.

As you can see, there are many different methods. On any of them, proper sanitation is a must. I believe sanitation is probably more important than the actual method - to a point.
Pez.

As you can see, there are many different methods. On any of them, proper sanitation is a must. I believe sanitation is probably more important than the actual method - to a point.
Pez.

yeah, no matter how ya aerate, make sure you and the tool(s) you're using are clean and sanitized. i find it endlessly helpful to keep a spray bottle of star san handy during all activities brewing related. :mug:

I use a large balloon whisk and beat the $%@! out of it. I also use a wire strainer when I am moving from bucket to fermenter. Everything is sanitized of course.

If you use an aquarium pump you can sanitize the stone and the tubing but, how do you sanitize the inside of the pump?

If you use an aquarium pump you can sanitize the stone and the tubing but, how do you sanitize the inside of the pump?

i spray my pump with star san, spray a pot with star san and cover the pump with the pot. after i'm done, i spray the pump again and put it in a ziplock bag that i sprayed with star san, then back in it's box and into the fridge. next time i use it, i repeat the process. if you're wondering if i've ever infected a batch, nope, not yet, not ever in fact. :mug: i s'pose if you were really concerned, you could spray through the little filter hole to get inside the pump, the liquid shouldn't hurt it, but i've never done that, i just make sure to get that little filter wet with some star san.

You should use an in-line hepa filter.

Yup, a hepa filter is necessary to aerate.

Having judged many a flight at homebrew competitions, homebrewers regularly submit infected beer. Pumping non-sanitary air into your wort is an excellent way to introduce a mild-to-moderate infection.

A wine degasser on a drill works well. Run the degasser just fast enough to get a small vortex for 5 minutes. I've heard that too much foaming during aeration could harm your head. Can't quote that as a fact. Involving a power tool in brewing is always a good thing.

A wine degasser on a drill works well. Run the degasser just fast enough to get a small vortex for 5 minutes. I've heard that too much foaming during aeration could harm your head. Can't quote that as a fact. Involving a power tool in brewing is always a good thing.

+1 on power tools and brewing!!

yeah, a wine whip works great. and i totally agree, the more ways you can involve power tools in your brew day, the better your beer will turn out. :mug:

ordered and aeration system the pump style.. Does it damage the stainless steel fuse at all if you sterilize it with star san?

You guys inspire me, I broke a balloon whisk last brew day. I am going to rig it up to a drill and let it rip!! More Power Tools!!! or is that more cowbell?

Hmmm... Glad I looked in this. My brew pot has a spigot at the bottom (full volume boil). To transfer to the primary, I put the (cooled) brew kettle on a table about 36" high and drain the kettle into the primary through a stainless wire mesh strainer. This tends to generate more foam than I want to deal with! Is it valid to assume foam = aeration?

Back