Accelerated barrel aging using heavy metal music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
This is not an "April Fools" post, read details below.
Surfing the internet this morning, I came across a distillery in N.C. that uses a "whiskey barrel time machine" that ages their whiskey in 2.5 hrs and uses oak chips along with some secret process.
Further investigations using the search term "accelerated whiskey aging" turned up a variety of articles, that vaguely described a process that used steel tanks, light, sound and temperature that produces a barrel aged product in much less time.
2 trees distillery in NC w/video that shows some of their process:
https://www.twotreesdistilling.com/aboutA distillery that uses carboys to age their whiskey:
https://www.thealchemistmagazine.ca/2021/08/13/a-whisky-time-machine/Newspaper article that mentions using heavy metal low frequency sound waves to age their whiskey:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-wait-whiskey-is-aging-fast-11576265195Here's the heavy metal snippet:
As entrepreneurs pile into whiskey, taking creative approaches to aging has become a way to stand out. Rock band Metallica last year launched a whiskey named after its song “Blackened” that it says is matured using low-frequency sound waves from the band’s music. Metallica says the music enhances molecular interactions and hence taste.
So, can any of this be used on a homebrew level? I'm already using Jack Daniel's barrel chips soaked in bourbon to provide a fake "barrel age" to my beer, cider and mead and its easy and effective. To introduce sound to the process I was thinking of using an old bass cabinet last used in a garage band and cranking heavy metal bass lines or something similar through it, I'm seldom home so the sound isn't going to bother anyone. The problem is getting something that will continuously play the sound. So I might try a sonic gopher spike that emits low frequency sound. I already have one, but it runs on solar. For the light aspect I was going to use strips of LED's as shown in the photo and skip the heat part since that would be a sure way to ruin the beverage if it wasn't properly controlled. I'm wondering if the LED lights will run the sonic gopher spike.
All this is beginning to sound like more trouble than its worth, my barrel chips routine actually works pretty well. Maybe someone with more free time than I have can use these ideas.

I don't see why this wouldn't work, though it's not clear how fast it would speed things up.

Traditional whiskey makers use barrel houses to age their whiskey; the change in seasons, and the resulting temperature of the whiskey in the barrel, causes the whiskey to move in and out of the barrel staves, adding the flavor.

I once asked at such a place if they couldn't just accelerate that by artificially changing the barrel temps in a fast cycle; the answer was, yes, some were doing a variation of that.

So using sound waves sounds, to me, like a similar thing, i.e., stimulating the movement of the beer into and out of the barrel or in the case of staves and chips, moving the beer into and out of the flavor carriers.

It makes me wonder if simply using vibrations of any kind might work, but the story is better if one uses heavy metal music. :)

Thinking of playing Bleeding Me out of my 15" woofers. Shakes the walls and drowns out . . . . . everything.

My beer certainly gets a heavy dose of metal from grain to glass.

Latest posts

Back